Byrne & Miller MGA Pty Ltd (ABN 50 130 523 741) (“BMGA”) understands that you value your privacy and wish to have your personal information kept secure. For these reasons, BMGA places a high priority on the security of information we hold. We have developed this policy to inform you of how we manage your personal information to maintain its integrity and security.
BMGA and its related entities are committed to protecting your privacy and handling your information we collect in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act.)
While we believe in keeping your personal information highly secure, we also believe that you have the right to be informed about how we deal with that information so if on reading this policy you are unclear on any of the matters or simply want more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us on the telephone number or addresses provided below.
Collecting Personal Information
We aim to collect personal information only if it is relevant and necessary to providing the service or product you have requested from BMGA.
In general you can assume that we collect and hold the following information:
- Business name;
- Business, Postal, Street and Email Addresses;
- Telephone and fax number;
- And any other contact information;
- Credit card numbers;
- Income Tax File Number;
- Australian Business Number
- Australian Company Number
- Place and date of birth, gender and marital status
- Superannuation and insurance information
- Financial and investment information including shareholdings and bank account t details
- Education (including transcripts)
- Employment details
- Practice details
- Reference letters
- Languages you speak
- Information about audits performed
- Payment information (including history)
In most cases we will collect this information from you directly, either via documents and materials your provide to us, from our conversations with you in person and over the telephone, and from mail and electronic communications with you or any other medium.
Sometimes we may collect information about you from someone else i.e. from someone acting on your behalf or your representatives (such as financial advisers, accountants, and solicitors), your employer (if they are our client), your insurers or brokers, referees, referrers or other intermediaries.
When you make a call to the BMGA we will record the name of the person making the call, the date and time of the call.
Purposes of Collection
We collect, retain and use you personal information to enable us to provide our services to you, respond to your inquires, assess your employment application, and comply with the law.
We may also use the information:
- Provide professional services to you
- Communicate with you, including responding to your inquiries and feed back, keeping you informed
- Provide system and technology solutions for you
- Manage our conflict of interest and independence obligations
- Undertake recruitment activities for us and our clients
- Sending newsletters;
- To invite you to seminars or events;
- To inform you of products that can be purchased from the BMGA; and
- To inform you of developments at BMGA and other services that we can provide.
We may also collect personal information to comply with legislative and regulatory requirements including the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth), and taxation and employment laws.
In some circumstances, if you decide not to provide us with the personal information we ask for, or if you provide us with personal information that is inaccurate or incomplete, we may not be able to respond adequately to your inquiries or provide you with the services you require.
We may also use your personal information for marketing purposes. (See section below Personal Information to market services to you).
Depending on the nature of the relationship with us, for the purposes listed in the section above we may provide your personal information to:
- Other professional advisers and specialist consultants
- Brokers and agents who refer your business to us
- Any person acting on your behalf, such as your financial advisor, solicitor, settlement agent or administrator
- Other third parties who provide services to us, including data processing, audit and quality review activities
- Agents who assist us to dispose of property or equipment
- Investors, advisers and trustees
- Professional associations and organisations
- IT technicians may have access when providing on-site support although it is our practice for them to work under the supervision of one of our own IT technicians.
- File storage services
- Software providers who we send recommendations to
- Business partners
Disclosure required by law
We may be required to disclose your personal information by law e.g. under Court Orders or Statutory Notices, or under laws relating to sanctions, anti-money laundering or counter terrorism financing, taxation and employment.
Personal Information to market services to you
From time to time we may also use your personal information to let your know about other services and products we provide that we think you might be interested in. We may also let you know about services and products that other companies offer if we think they might be of interest to you.
If at any time you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us my may, telephone our office.
Personal Information Quality
We aim to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. To assist us in this, you need to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as requested and properly update the information to us to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. You may request access to your personal information by contacting our office.
In some circumstances we may not be able to give you access to all of the personal information we hold about you, as authorized under the Australian Privacy Principles.
If you believe that the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact our office and we will use all reasonable effort to correct the information.
In the event that we do not believe the information to be incorrect, we will take reasonable steps to add a statement to the information claiming that you believe the information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date.
If we cannot grant access to your personal information, or we cannot agree as to the correctness of it, we will give you reasons for it unless it would be unreasonable to do so. If you do not agree with our decision you may ask us to review the decision via our complaint handling procedures.
If you believe we have not complied with the Australian Privacy Principles you can submit a complaint to us in writing by either the following methods:
- Emailing the director at email@example.com
- Mailing to PO Box 257, Elanora, QLD 4221
We will respond to your complaint as soon as reasonably practicable after receipt of your written complaint. If you do not agree with our decision or the way we have handled your complaint you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Securing Your Personal Information
We hold personal information in both electronic and hardcopy formats. We are committed to maintaining the security and confidentially of the data you provide us and we will take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from unauthorised disclosure, use or alteration.
We have the following security measure in place to protect your information:
- After hours access to the building is by key only;
- Our offices are also securely locked after hours and monitored by alarm system;
- All computers have password protection and screen savers
- Paper shredders utilized along with document destruction company
- Restricted access to key data by key staff only
- Anti-virus software used for computers
- Computer backups stored securely away from the location of our computer system
- Removal of access rights for employees who leave the organization
- Internet and email usage policy distributed to staff
Changes to this Statement
Telephone 07 5598 1118
Post Byrne & Miller MGA Pty Ltd, PO Box 257, ELANORA QLD 4221